Flu season is already upon us and physicians and pharmacies everywhere are starting the annual flu vaccination process with their patients. This year, the recommendation from the CDC is that only the injectable vaccine is given to anyone over the age of two, rather than the nasal spray option that was previously offered to younger patients. Preventative medicine like vaccines is so beneficial to the health of our patients and, as your local family owned pharmacy, that’s something very important to us. That’s why we are also keen to offer additional tips to help you prepare for flu season!
3 Steps to Prepare for Flu Season
It is an excellent idea to take steps to prepare for what might happen should the flu virus hit your household hard! It may not prevent your family getting sick, but at least it will make getting through it that much easier. Don’t forget – as your local family owned pharmacy we can help with most of these steps.
- Stock Up On Supplies – Get ready to combat flu by stocking up on essential supplies. Make sure you have plenty of tissues, anti-bacterial soap, hand sanitizer and paper towel.
- Check Your Medicine Cabinet – It is a good idea to make sure the medicine cabinet contains pain relief, decongestant, and cough syrup as well as a good digital thermometer. You can visit your local family owned pharmacy for advice on what to keep at hand.
- Get Into The Habit of Washing Your Hands Often – One of the biggest ways cold and flu germs spread is from our hands. Get the whole family into the habit of washing their hands frequently using soap for at least 20 seconds. A great rule of thumb for kids is to have them sing ‘Happy Birthday’ twice through so they know it’s been long enough. Visit your local family owned pharmacy for anti-bacterial hand soap.
Try Getting Some Exercise
One of the biggest things that can help to prevent cold and flu, along with other illnesses, is changing some of your day to day habits. When your body is in the best possible shape it becomes less susceptible to the bacteria that causes flu, plus it will be in tip-top shape to fight off any illness that does manage to take hold. Light to moderate exercise on a regular basis is one of the best ways to strengthen your immune system. Get outdoors and take a brisk walk! It doesn’t need to be high impact exercise – in fact, strenuous exercise can have a negative impact on your immune system!
Do Supplements Help Prevent Flu?
There is a great deal of debate surrounding supplements and whether or not they are worthwhile. While it is true that in some cases supplements are pointless unless you are deficient in a particular vitamin or mineral, there is also a great deal of evidence to support the fact that supplements can help with the immune system. As your local family owned pharmacy, we are always happy to discuss supplements with our patients to determine whether or not they will be helpful. With that being said, some of the supplements that may help support the immune system during flu season include:
- Vitamin C – There is a common misconception that taking Vitamin C will stop you from getting sick. This is not the case, but it can help you to fight off a cold or flu once you start getting sick. Our bodies demand more Vitamin C when battling sickness, which is why everyone recommends orange juice!
- Zinc – Zinc is another mineral that can help you to kick a cold or flu faster. However, it does need to be taken at the onset. Supplements are available, or you can naturally increase the Zinc rich food in your diet.
Your Hometown Pharmacy Since 1966
Vaughn Pharmacy is a local, family-owned pharmacy serving the community in Powell, TN. Specializing in providing personalized and attentive prescription programs to our patients, we believe you are more than just a number – you’re part of our family!