Everyone feels stressed at some point or the other in their life. It may be due to a hectic work schedule or a busy family life. Whatever the cause, all of us have experienced stress. Occasional stress is natural and is actually good for the body and mind. It helps us stay positive, focused, and alert. However, continuous stress can seriously impact your health - both physically and mentally.
Here are some eye-opening statistics that reflect what stress can do:
- 55% of Americans feel stressed during the day.
- 94% of employees report feeling stressed out at work.
- 63% of Americans are ready to leave their present job to avoid stress-related problems.
- 7 out of 10 adults in the US say that work stress impacts their personal relationships.
- 66% of Americans say they have lost their sleep due to increased stress in their life.
Visit your local pharmacy TN for advice and you will be surprised by the various different ways that you can tackle stress including taking over-the-counter medications to reduce it. However, buying a stress-relieving product from a local pharmacy TN is a temporary solution that will give you immediate, but short-lived relief.
What is Stress?
Stress is the body's way of reacting to a potentially dangerous situation. The situation may be real or perceived. During stress, the body releases certain chemicals called hormones. Adrenaline and noradrenaline are the two hormones that activate the stress response or fight and flight trigger in the body. This natural stress response is the body's way of preventing injury or damage due to stress. Human beings can handle small doses of stress. However, prolonged stress can result in a lot of health issues and complications. The impact of stress on every person is different. Also, the signs and effects of stress differ from one person to another.
Physical Effects of Stress
As discussed above, stress can manifest itself physically as well as mentally. Here are a few of the physical effects of prolonged stress:
- Stomach Pains - When the fight and flight response is activated due to stress, blood flow to the digestive system decreases because of the central nervous system. Reduced blood flow causes the digestive muscles to contract, leading to cramps, aches, diarrhea, and irregular bowel movements. Next time when you go to a local pharmacy TN, remember your stomach problems may be due to stress.
- Headaches - Another physical effect of stress is severe headaches or migraine. This is caused due to muscle contraction in the body. Most people who complain of headaches to a local pharmacy in TN are actually suffering from stress in their life. Headache is only a sign or a symptom, but the root cause is stress.
- Weakened Immune System - You may have seen many people purchasing immunity-boosting tablets from a local pharmacy TN. How did their immunity become so weak? How are they susceptible to so many inflections. Stress weakens the immune system and reduces the effectiveness of the white blood cells (WBCs) to ward off pathogens like bacteria and viruses.
- Cardiovascular Disorders - Stress increases heart rate and blood pressure. This may result in severe cardiovascular problems like stroke, heart attack, and angina, which may be life-threatening.
Mental Health Problems Due to Stress
Prolonged periods of stress can also have an impact on your mental wellbeing.
- Depression - Depression is a mood disorder that results in loss of interest, reduced energy, lack of enjoyment, and lowering of mood. Continued depression due to stress may result in higher risks of suicidal thoughts or behavior.
- Anxiety - Anxiety is a mental health disorder in which an individual suffering from stress feels worried and has fear about day-to-day situations. The feeling of nervousness, fear or worry can seriously affect daily activities.
- Moodiness - You may have witnessed many people experiencing mood swings. One moment they are angry, the next moment they are happy, then irritable and then joyous. All these abrupt changes in mood swings are caused due to stress.
Stress is going to be a part of your life. However, it is important to identify overwhelming stress and find out ways to overcome them. Some useful tips from your doctor or local pharmacy TN can help to reduce or prevent stress.
Your Hometown Pharmacy Since 1966
Vaughn Pharmacy is a local, family-owned pharmacy serving the community in Powell, TN. Specializing in providing personalized and attentive prescription programs to our patients, we believe you are more than just a number – you’re part of our family!