The choice of vitamin supplements for kids can be a challenging and daunting task for parents these days. Visit a local pharmacy TN store and you will get so many choices you might feel too overwhelmed to choose! Being a parent is no easy task, especially when choosing the right multivitamins for your child. When visiting a local pharmacy TN store, most parents start wondering if a particular vitamin is suitable for their child or not. Also, many parents think about giving vitamin supplements to their kids only when they are sick or suffering from a cold or flu. It is important for parents to keep in mind that vitamins need to be a part of a kid’s life, not just when he/she has an underlying illness but on a daily basis. Our pharmacists can offer advice about the best over-the-counter vitamins for your family.
Why Do Kids Need Vitamins?
The growth and development of children happens faster compared to adults and as a result, their body requires more vitamins and nutrients. A child’s body cannot always produce all the vitamins that are needed. Hence, it is important to give them vitamin supplements. How many children in today’s world eat a healthy and balanced diet? Most children consume fast foods – pizzas, burgers, noodles, etc. which do not give them the vitamins they need. In this situation, parents need to consult a pediatrician for vitamin supplements and buy them from a local pharmacy. The immune system of children is not fully developed and hence susceptible to infections when they go outdoors. Therefore, kids need multivitamins to support their immune systems.
Decoding the Different Vitamins That Help Keep Children Healthy
Here are some important vitamins and minerals that kids need for healthy growth and development. These vitamin supplements are readily available at any local pharmacy TN.
- Vitamin A - It is required for healthy skin, normal growth, vision, and tissue repair. It is naturally found in yellow, orange, green leafy vegetables, fruits, dairy products, nuts, and liver. Deficiency of vitamin A in children may result in night blindness, xerophthalmia, and rashes on the skin.
- Vitamin B complex - Vitamin B complex helps in the production of red blood cells, prevents infections, and makes sure that the metabolic activities in a child’s body are carried out properly. Vitamin B complex occurs naturally in fresh fruits and vegetables, poultry, fish, milk, eggs, whole grains, and cereals. Deficiency of Vitamin B complex may result in loss of appetite, weakness, weight loss, bleeding gums, and even anemia in children.
- Vitamin C - It is an essential vitamin needed for a child’s body to fight infections and boost the immune system. It also helps to strengthen the bones, muscles, skin, and blood vessels. Citrus fruits and fresh vegetables are rich sources of vitamin C. Deficiency of vitamin C can result in scurvy in children.
- Vitamin D - It helps to develop strong bones and teeth in children and facilitates the absorption of calcium. On exposure to sunlight, vitamin D is synthesized in the body. Naturally, vitamin D is present in limited foodstuffs like fatty fish, fish oil, and eggs. The deficiency of vitamin D causes rickets and osteomalacia.
- Calcium - It builds strong bones and teeth as a child grows. Milk, eggs, soybeans, cheese, and yogurt are rich sources of calcium.
- Iron - It helps develop the muscles and production of healthy red blood cells in children. Spinach, beans, and green vegetables are good sources of iron.
Large doses of Vitamins and Minerals Can be Harmful
Anything in excess is bad for health. This is true for vitamins and minerals as well. Giving excess vitamins and nutrients to your child can be toxic. This is why there is a Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for each vitamin in children and adults.
Giving a child home-cooked meals and wholesome food every day is a challenge for every parent. Vitamin and mineral supplements are a must for those children who are not eating well-balanced meals on a regular basis and those suffering from infections and medical conditions. If you want your child to be healthy, it is important to give vitamin supplements that he/she needs after speaking to your doctor or an expert at a local pharmacy TN.
Any questions or concerns regarding vitamin supplements for your child can be clarified with the experts at any local pharmacy TN near you.
Your Hometown Pharmacy Since 1966
Vaughn Pharmacy is a local, family-owned pharmacy serving the community in Powell, TN. Specializing in providing personalized and attentive prescription programs to our patients, we believe you are more than just a number – you’re part of our family!