First Aid, as the name suggests, is the primary or initial aid (help) given to an individual who has suffered an immediate injury or is suffering from an illness. The main objective behind giving first aid to a victim is to provide immediate relief and prevent the condition from deteriorating further until proper medical assistance can be given or they can be taken to the hospital.
Benefits of First Aid
Even if someone goes on to be treated by a medical professional, they can benefit from having first aid administered beforehand. These are just a few of the benefits of first aid treatment.
- It could save someone’s life when a major accident occurs on the road, at home, or in the workplace.
- Giving first aid at the right time to a person helps him/her recover faster.
- First aid provides relief from immense pain and stress that an injured or ill person may suffer from.
- It helps to control bleeding from the wound until the victim gets medical assistance from a doctor. This means they won’t suffer the effects of severe blood loss.
- Initial medical assistance in the form of first aid helps avoid complications in the future.
First Aid Kit – A Key to Providing First Aid Treatment
A first aid kit is a box or bag that consists of a collection of various supplies and equipment necessary to provide medical assistance to people who are injured or suffering from an illness. A first aid kit is very important in many situations such as minor injuries, insect bites, bee stings, allergies, and even in case of accidents. You can prepare a first aid kit of your own by purchasing the items from your local pharmacy TN. Alternatively, you can buy a ready-made first aid kit which again, is available at any local pharmacy TN. A first aid kit can be small or large, depending on the purpose you need. For example, you may have a fully stocked first aid kit in your car or at home, but a smaller travel sized kit in your purse for on the go!
Popular Items For Your First Aid Kit
The contents of pre-packed first aid kits may vary depending on the brand or where you purchase them, but there are a few popular items that almost any first aid kit should include. These are as follows:
- Over-the-counter medicines
- Instant cold packs
- Antiseptic solution, ointments, and burn cream
- Sterilized dressings (small, medium, and large)
- Roller bandages
- Scissors, scalpels, tweezers, and adhesive tape
- Gauze roll and pads
- Safety pins
- Painkillers and anti-inflammatory medicines
Over-the-counter medicines (OTC), also known as non-prescription medicines are available at any local pharmacy TN store without a doctor’s prescription. Some of OTC medication you can buy from a local pharmacy TN to keep in your first aid kit include pain killers (analgesic drugs), antipyretic drugs, cough and cold medicines, Decongestants, antihistamine medications, eye and ear drops, rehydration and ORS fluids, etc.
Tips for Treating Minor Injuries
It is useful to undertake some kind of first aid training so that you know what to do in an emergency situation. However, even without a formal qualification, knowing these basic tips for treating minor injuries can be useful.
- You can stop bleeding from a wound by applying pressure. Clot formation will happen in less than 5 minutes for minor wounds.
- Wash wounds with clean water to remove any debris which may otherwise cause a possible infection.
- Apply an ice pack if you see any swelling near the injured body part.
- Try and keep the injured part (hand/leg) on a smooth surface and avoid any unnecessary movement.
- Wrap the injured part in a bandage to provide support and reduce the swelling.
- Seek immediate medical advice if you notice any signs of infection (redness, pain, swelling) in a wound.
Don’t forget, if you need to restock your first aid kit or if you need advise on the right way to treat minor injuries you can visit Vaughn Pharacy, your local pharmacy TN for advice.
Your Hometown Pharmacy Since 1966
Vaughn Pharmacy is a local, family-owned pharmacy serving the community in Powell, TN. Specializing in providing personalized and attentive prescription programs to our patients, we believe you are more than just a number – you’re part of our family!